Building Jobs Coalition: We Build Economies
The Building Jobs Coalition was founded in 2008 in response to the Great Recession’s widespread and devastating impact across all sectors in the building/construction industry.
Made up of leaders representing labor, contractors, architects and engineers, the Building Jobs Coalition continues to advocate for policies that support sustainable careers in the design and construction of commercial, industrial, residential and institutional projects.
On August 26, 2020 the Building Jobs Coalition spearheaded a joint letter to Governor Walz and legislative leadership, detailing the disastrous effects of delaying the passage of a bonding bill in 2020. Signed by over 60 organizations representing hundreds of thousands of companies and citizens, this joint initiative speaks to the broad recognition of the importance of passing a bonding bill without further delay.
Even though the economy has improved since the recession, a skilled workforce shortage continues. The design and construction industries are responding through investment in advanced technologies that increase worker efficiencies and productivity.
Members of the BJC have revved up their organizations’ recruitment, training and retraining efforts. Design and construction firms along with their partners in the trades employ strategic, managed capacity of workers in project planning to ensure when one project or phase of a project is completed, workers can be shifted to the next.
CEO, Associated General Contractors of Minnesota
Mary Margaret Zindren
Executive Vice President, American Institute of Architects Minnesota
Minnesota Building and Construction Trades Council
- American Council of Engineering Companies of Minnesota
- American Institute of Architects Minnesota
- Associated General Contractors of Minnesota
- Association of Women Contractors
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 292
- Laborers District Council of Minnesota and North Dakota
- Minnesota Building and Construction Trades Council
- Minnesota Electrical Association
- Minnesota Historical Society
- Minnesota Mechanical Contractors Association
- Minnesota Pipe Trades Association
- Operating Engineers Local 49
- Rethos (formerly Preservation Alliance of Minnesota)
- The Minnesota Transportation Alliance