Calling All Emerging Leaders
Education – Leadership Blueprint
Associated General Contractors of Minnesota has created a professional development series for the emerging leaders in construction management.
Created in 2014, The Leadership Blueprint is anchored by Ken Bradford, author of Fearless and Persuasive Speaking and founder of The Leaders Course. Ken leads students through the principles of human relations and effective speaking. Participants complete a leadership assessment, set goals, report on activities to their peers and receive personalized feedback.
The class exercises, tied to real life experiences, stretch and equip students with added confidence and lifelong skills. With Ken’s leadership, the Blueprint will help students learn to:
- Address groups comfortably and convincingly
- Remember names
- Organize thoughts
- Increase listening skills
- Apply leadership principles for working with others
- Reduce conflicts and lower stress
- Discover keys to building teamwork and morale
- Lead better meetings
- Improve customer service
- Develop more confidence
Rounding out the individualized and group learning will be sessions on construction industry topics presented by local experts. The topics will cover construction safety, labor, finances, legal issues and current legislative topics and trends as well as hot topics determined each year.
Nuts and Bolts:
The series begins in November of each year and ends in April the following year. The first five sessions are held Thursday afternoon and Friday morning, once per month with four of the five sessions held outside the Twin Cities area. The sixth session is the graduation reception.
Each series is limited to 20 students, and all students must be employed by an AGC member firm.
An advisory group will recommend candidates for acceptance into the program based on: (1) a notable passion for the construction industry; (2) keen interest in professional development and (3) responsibility for team leadership within the nominating firm.
Leadership Blueprint Leaders are:
- Great communicators, who get more done with more people on their side.
- Good with customers because they can think on their feet, gain rapport and build long-term relationships.
- Able to attract people to their ideas and build a sense of teamwork.
- Efficient with time, especially in meetings.
- Great coaches who know how to bring out the best in others.
Participants must be nominated for the course and tuition covers the consulting fee and incidentals. Only AGC of Minnesota member firms may participate in the Leadership Blueprint.
Merry Beckmann, Director of Member Services